Special education articles, higher education

Parents’ guide to student accommodation

Posted on Mar 21, 2016 in Edu

As a parent, seeing your beloved son or daughter move out and go to university will make you feel proud, sad and concerned. It can be a challenging time for you, but remember that your support and opinion are needed, especially when it comes to finding student accommodation. Most university centres offer quality housing solutions for young people, including student accommodation Aberdeen, but choosing the right option is rarely simple. Here are some tips that you should follow to make sure that your child is safe and comfortable in their new home.

Ask to see the property too

This is something that your son or daughter will probably ask you to do, because inspecting a property is a skill that few people have at the age of 18. If you cannot travel to see the place in person, ask to see at least some pictures taken by your child. Look for traces or mould and ask about the price to make sure you are not being scammed.

Explain the adult, boring stuff

When students move out to go to university, they tend to be so excited about how close the new place is to the campus and popular pubs that they forget to check practical things, such as the water pressure or safety of electrical equipment. If you have the chance, discuss these matters with the owners or remind or child to ask about them.


No matter where your child relocates, you will probably be a bit worried about their safety, but knowing that the property is well protected will give you some peace of mind. Check the reputation of the neighbourhood in advance and ask whether the property has CCTV.

Talk to the management

A discussion with the property manager, at least on the phone, is encouraged. This way, you can get answers to any questions you may have and find out if the owner is reliable or not. Ask to whom your child can speak when they have any concerns and whether or not a warden will be available for first years.

Being a guarantor

A guarantor is a parent or relative who is responsible for paying for the property if the student is unable to do so. A guarantor is required only when the student chooses to pay in instalments. If you can pay for the property in full, then establishing a guarantor in the accommodation agreement will not be required.

Remember who will live there

Sometimes, parents tend to be rather strict or authoritative to their children when they look for student accommodation together. This happens because they have the student’s best interest at hearts, but the situation should nevertheless be avoided. While your advice and guidance are appreciated, remember that what your child thinks of the property is very important and you should not try to force them to live in a place they do not like. After all, moving out can be as challenging for you as it is for them and living in a home they really like will help them adjust to the new lifestyle more easily.